Melatonin is a sleep and wakefulness hormone that occurs naturally in the brain’s sleep-cycle systems. In this concentrated form, Melatonin allows you to take control of your body clock, inducing deep, restful, natural sleep without daytime drowsiness. Given the essential function of sleep in facilitating cognitive processes, Melatonin has earned its place as a widely respected life-hack.
Melatonin’s properties mean that large doses reduce its effectiveness: most commonly available amounts are too high, and cause side-effects such as headaches. Our capsules contain a Melatonin dosage of precisely 300 micrograms (0.3 mg), which clinical findings suggest to be the optimal amount for peak effectiveness.
Capsules per day: 1
Effect onset: 30 – 60 minutes
Effect duration: Melatonin has a peak effect duration of 2 hours, with a period of comfortable sleepiness that gently fades over 4 hours. These sleep-inducing effects are diminished by sleep itself, ensuring that you wake up refreshed and clear-headed.
Extended use: Melatonin can be used frequently, and does not cause hangover-like effects as is common with sleeping pills.
- Taking melatonin several hours before bedtime shifts the biological clock forward, and can be used effectively along with light therapy, and to counteract jet lag.
- Melatonin is reported to interact with anticoagulants, immunosuppressants, and diabetes medications. If you are taking any of the above, please consult a medical practitioner before taking melatonin.
Alcohol note: Drinking alcohol after taking Melatonin may prevent Melatonin from working properly. In general Alcohol may also reduce sleep quality.
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
Third-party purity testing:
Certificate of Authenticity
The human body naturally produces Melatonin, which is a hormone used for regulating the sleep cycle. Our brains suppress the production of melatonin when we are stimulated by blue light, which is why we don’t get sleepy during the day. Digital screens also emit blue light during the night time, which may disrupt sleep cycles.
Besides the consumption of melatonin, programs such as f.lux or Twilight, are also effective at improving sleep, as they automatically shift your screen’s color spectrum away from blue after sundown.
Melatonin has a U-shaped dose-response curve, which means that taking more than the necessary amount reduces potency.
Chemical name: N-acetyl-5-methoxy tryptamine
Other names: Melatonine, Melovine, Melatol, Melatonex, Circadin
Side Effects: drowsiness, headaches, dizziness.
Melatonin is well studied and is considered safe at standard doses, but if side effects do occur, please exercise caution. If discomfort persists or intensifies, always consult a medical practitioner.
Further information (off-site)
Melatonin Examine Article
Melatonin Wikipedia Entry
1. Evaluation of sleep, puberty and mental health in children with long-term melatonin treatment for chronic idiopathic childhood sleep onset insomnia
2. Melatonin improves memory acquisition under stress independent of stress hormone release
3. An evaluation of the neuroprotective effects of melatonin in an in vitro experimental model of age-induced neuronal apoptosis
4. Effects of melatonin on nervous system aging: neurogenesis and neurodegeneration
5. Effects of exogenous melatonin on sleep: a meta-analysis